About Me

My photo
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, United States
I have been crafting and doing shows for 20 plus years. I have 3 children and I love creating primitive country crafts. I am married and my husband is my biggest asset to my success. But I can't forget the help my children have been through the years and still to this day. This has been a true family event. I hope you like what you see. I have made so many friends through the years. They started out as customers an are now dear friends, and that is all worth the long hours that we all put into making our creations. I say our creations, because my husband and children help in so many ways. Enjoy my pictures and posts, have a cup of coffee and some downtime to just relax...and come back soon...from my house to yours, Denise

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tater Tot

Hi everyone. Well if you have followed my posts you would know we had adopted a orange kitten last summer. Unfortunately, he has been plagued with some health problems...but there is good news and bad.....good news is he is doing well on the stomach medicine. He used to throw up his food all day long, some times as much as 12 times a day. Yes, I was running around with a roll of paper towels, and some cleaning spray and a wash rag....we have it down to maybe once every few weeks he has a bad day...He is growing like a weed and bold as bold can be. But he is also the sweetest cat we have, and we have 3.

My daughter did some research online, because he had differences we hadn't seen in cats, and we have had our share over the past 34 years we have lived here. His mother was a indoor cat, but got out, and Tater and his 3 siblings were the result. There were 2 orange, 1 calico and one tiger. But he is not a short hair, not an angora, but yet his fur is fluffy, and so soft...like angora, but not the length of a true angora cat. Well it turns out his mother mated with a "Maine Coon" breed of cat. A true Maine will have "lynx" tipped ears with tuffs of fur inside of them, long soft thick fur, a ruffled fur collar, fur tuffs between their toes, and a long body and even a longer, fluffy tail. Tater's tail is as long as he is and fluffy as could be. It reminds me of a feather duster. They don't mature until they are about 4 years old, and will grow into a very long, large cat up to 20 or 22 pounds. The fluffy tail is meant to wrap around him in the cold, to keep him warm, the tuffs of fur in his feet for the snow and cold weather. Tater has all the above for the exception of the turned in tips of a lynx ear, but he does have the fur tuffs inside of them, and all of the above. His fur collar is pronounced at times, but it also is just a bit smaller that if he was a full bred Maine Coon cat....the biggest marking of all is that all Maine Coons will have a "M" marking on their head, his is right above his nose between his eyes.

Now they are a great breed, but they do have a few downfalls. One is dysplasia, and the other is heart problems which Tater does have. His heart is not the best, his breathing gets labored at times when he decides to just be a kitten and run after the other cats to play. He will just drop to the floor, and lay there breathing thru his mouth, and you can see his heart beating away in his chest...times like this, his gums are more purple than pink, as he is not getting the oxygen he needs. Our vet told us, he may be with us for years, and he may just one day drop over and pass on. This makes me sad, for a sweeter kitten you will never find. Money spent on a vet that specializes in hearts will not be in our or his best interest because more than likely it will not fix him. Our vet said to just ejoy him for as long as we can. And I am not in favor of putting him through so much pain for a unlikely result.

So Tater will be Tater as long as he is supposed to be with us. He makes me smile more times through the day than I could count. And I have to think I picked him out of the litter for a reason. Did I know he was sick, no....did he look sick, no....but he is who I chose and he follows me around like a dog would...one of my other cats does too, but not as much as he is getting older and likes to sleep more than be awake. One downfall of a Maine is because their fur is so soft, it is all over the rugs, couches....I run the sweeper twice a day to keep ahead of it...you can always tell where he was buy the hair he leaves behind...

So that is my update on Tater Tot...as of today he is still with us, and laying by my chair as I write this...I never heard of that breed of cat before, and it makes for interesting reading..I will post a few pictures of him, he is growing quickly, only 9 months old, but if they don't mature until 4 years of age, he is going to be tearing up the house for quite a while yet...and that is ok...:)






From my house to yours:

Denise

4 comments:

laura said...

your pictures of Tater sleeping on the couch are so dang adorable, they bring a tear to my eye. whatever happens with Tater, he his so lucky that you picked him, and gave him such a loving home. a Maine Coon. huh...no wonder his tail is so fluffy!! xoxo

Willow Creek Crossing said...

I don't know much about cats Denise, I have dogs, but what a little cutie this guy is. His markings are beautiful and that tail and his paws. Tater was one lucky little guy to find you for his owner!!!
~Smile~
Donna

Michelle~Sugar House Creations said...

He looks just like my Cinnamon! We always talk about his tail too, lol. His mom is an outdoor tabby, but we don't know the father. We don't know whether to consider him long hair or not, and he looks like an old man with the tufts of fur in his ears, lol.

Denise's Kountry Patch said...

Thanks everyone for commenting...I know he is not a full Maine because the mom was just a reg cat....but I would love to see the Dad...he has to be roaming around that neighborhood....I hope as he grows he gets more of the furry collar...and one friend on f/b said her Maine Coon was 4 feet long from head to tail and 18 pounds....amazing breed....